Join Our Mailing List

Join
Gideon Sheldon2022-05-22T11:52:53-04:00

Home Forums Discoveries Gideon Sheldon

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

From Jan Barrett:

I have been communicating with the Leeds and Grenville Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society in Canada. The researcher there found the information below. Harriet Chapin married a Gideon Sheldon, and although I have a Gideon Sheldon as my

5th g grandfather, my line continues through Samuel, not his brother Gideon (father of the Gideon mentioned below). It all gets confusing when the same first names are used in several generations. In any case, this information on Gideon Sheldon, b. 1806 might be of interest to someone who is related to the Michigan branch…

Harriet Chapin

Birth: Dec. 31, 1807
      Ontario, Canada

Death: Dec. 27, 1890 Blissfield, Lenawee County Michigan, USA

Harriet was born in Bastard (now a part of Rideau Lakes), Leed County, Ontario, the daughter of Abner and Rebecca Foster Chapin. Harriet married Gideon Shelden in 1828 in Ontario, Canada, where they remained until the birth of their son, Levy. In 1835, the couple and their three sons returned to the United States and settled for a short time in Orleans County, New York. By 1837, the family had relocated to the remote and sparsely populated area of Ogden Township in Lenawee County, Michigan, where Gideon purchased eighty acres of government land.

Gideon and Harriet were among the earliest pioneers of this newly organized township, which was heavily timbered and densely populated with all types of game and wildlife when they first arrived. Bears, wolves and wildcats roamed freely and frequently threatened their safety. And it was not uncommon to have visits from the Indians who also lived in the area surrounding their farm.

Harriet worked with her husband through the years to build a comfortable log home on their land while raising five children, three of whom were added to their family at Ogden. She was a devout member of the United Brethren Church and survived the many perils and hardships of pioneer life, living to the age of eighty-two years of age.

Family links:
      Children:
      Truman Chapin Shelden (1830 – 1886)*

*Point here for explanation
      Burial:
      Ogden Zion Cemetery
      Blissfield
      Lenawee County
      Michigan, USA
      Plot: A 91.

Although Harriet is listed in the Ogden Zion Cemetery records in this plot, no gravestone was found by Michael T. Jones, a very generous Find A Grave contributor, who spent much time trying to find and photograph this marker.
      Edit Virtual Cemetery info [?]
      Created by: Karen
      Record added: May 17, 2011
      Find A Grave Memorial# 69962360

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top