Join Our Mailing List

Join
Hello! Devon UK Sheldons2022-04-24T13:29:20-04:00

Home Forums Sheldon Genealogy Introduce Yourself Hello! Devon UK Sheldons

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

My husband and I both have ancestors in Devon and Cornwall, but he has Sheldon ancestors. The most recent is Doreen Mary Sheldon (b 1899, Plymouth, Devon, UK), who was my husband’s grandmother. I’ve traced that line to George Sheldon (b 1753, most likely St. Andrews, Plymouth), his 5th great-grandfather. Has anyone come across this line in their research?

• Webmaster
      Keymaster

Welcome to our Forum, UKAncestry. We are still building out our website and we may not have a lot of UK information here yet. But we have several members that have visited the UK and can likely help direct you with your research. Hopefully they will join in the conversation here. Welcome again!

• Neale Sheldon

Sorry for the late reply. The last time I looked at these particular Sheldons in Plymouth was back in 2005.
      From what I can remember their Sheldon name was a little difficult to trace at times, because they used alternatives such as Sheldern

Sheldon Doreen M & Burley Albert C Plymouth 5b 772 marriage 2nd q 1920
      Sheldon Doreen Mary Tapper Plymouth 5b 249 birth 3 1899
      Sheldon Irene
      Sheldon James
      Sheldon Olive
      Sheldon Violet
      Sheldon Lilian
      Sheldon Gladys
      Sheldon Jasper
      Sheldon Harold
      Sheldon Jasper James & Tapper Elizabeth Agnes Plymouth 5b 460 marriage 2 1890

SHELDERN Jasper James Williams Plymouth 5b 302 birth 2 1868
      Sheldon Jasper J age 75 Plymouth 5b 382 death 1 1944

Sheldern James & Williams Emma Jane Plymouth 5b 457 marriage 2 1867

Sheldon James Adams Plymouth 9 384 birth 4 1846
      Sheldon James Short Plymouth 9 377 birth 4 1846

From census data etc it looks as though there were 2 James Sheldons born in Plymouth in 1846.
      To be accurate we really need more info to get some positive ID. Really need the Sheldon/Sheldern-Williams marriage certificate which would give their fathers names, occupations etc.
      Whilst most of the Sheldons are connected in some way, shape or form in the Plymouth area, too many people, unfortunately, are copying chunks of trees off ancestry and getting things wrong. Have you got any further info on this marriage, birth certs etc

• Neale Sheldon

Summary for these Sheldons

Sheldon Doreen M & Burley Albert C Plymouth 5b 772 marriage 2 1920
      Sheldon Doreen Mary Tapper Plymouth 5b 249 birth 3 1899

Sheldon Jasper James & Tapper Elizabeth Agnes Plymouth 5b 460 marriage 2 1890

SHELDERN Jasper James Williams Plymouth 5b 302 birth 2 1868
      Sheldon Jasper J age 75 Plymouth 5b 382 death 1 1944

Sheldern James & Williams Emma Jane Plymouth 5b 457 marriage 2 1867

Sheldon James Adams Plymouth 9 384 birth 4 1846
      Sheldon James Short Plymouth 9 377 birth 4 1846
      Sheldon James Plymouth 9 275 death 4 1846

From BMD data etc it looks as though there were 2 James Sheldons born in Plymouth in 1846.
      To be accurate we really need more info to get some positive ID. Really need the Sheldon/Sheldern-Williams marriage certificate which would give their fathers

names, occupations etc.
      Looking at censuses and eliminating one of the James born in 1846 and using the baptism record of the other.
      It is most likely that James had parents Samuel Sheldon and Mary Short.

Samuel Sheldon and Mary Short married in 1835
      censuses suggestes Samuel’s age between 1813-1817, it is more likely to be 1814 or earlier as he would have been at least 21 yrs of age.

There doesn’t appear to be any baptism records for Samuel in Devon around this time.
      Looking at the name of his first son George, there is the possibility that Samuel’s father was a George.
      Websites such as ancestry are adding to their Devon records every now and again. So in my opinion, we are just guessing that Samuels father is George c1780 and his father is George c1750

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Go to Top